Good stuff first.
* My poem "Mushroom Barley Soup: An Invocation" is up at Stone Telling! Go read the entire issue
. It is tremendous, as always, with stunning work by tithenai
, Emily Jiang, LaShawn Wanak, Sonya Taaffe, Sofia Samatar, and more. And tell the editors
how much you love it!
* Hey hey guys Electric Velocipede
has a Kickstarter! I have a soft spot for EV because it's my very first publication credit, but I love John Klima's editorial taste even when it doesn't include me. EV is a magazine worth supporting, and I hope that you will.
was a most excellent houseguest. She scrubbed down my kitchen while I was working on Friday! She got Elayna to clean the microwave! She got Elayna to trim her overgrown nails! Also she was just lots of fun. She needs to move back to MA. *nod*
* And Judah and lbitw
and I did massive amounts of yardwork
. Only one more push and the yard will be ready for the building of containers for gardening and stuff.
* My grandmother has cancer. Stage 4. She has six months if they leave it untreated, and 12-18 months if they do chemo. My big dread right now is that I'm going to have to talk my parents out of chemo; I think Grandma doesn't want treatment, but my parents are both very aggressively demanding ALL THE CHEMO, and to put someone through that a) when she doesn't want it and b) when it'll only buy her another 6 to 12 months? I find it unthinkably cruel. They just got the word yesterday, so it may be that they'll sleep on it and come to their senses. But I have this sinking sense that I am going to have to have the "you need to let your mother go" conversation with my mom, and that's not going to make anyone happy. *heavy sigh*.
* I have been thinking a lot about Jack, of course, and identifying something curious - a sense of betrayal. It seems that there was still something in me that really believed that if we all tried really hard and did our very best, Jack would be okay. There is this bewildered child-self in me that is just incredibly wounded because we tried so hard
and our effort couldn't make it better. Huh.
* Elayna's first day of school is Thursday, September 6, and that is when I can start writing again
. From now til then it's all haranguing her to do her summer reading, et cetera.
* I'm still super-busy, though. I would list everything but that cuts into my getting-everything-done time, so I should stop this post and get on it.
One more Good Thing: Judah made GF chocolate chip cookies. They are delicious.