Here is my collection of links about HR3 which is some bullshit up in here that you need to read about and call your congresscritters about.
Nutshell: HR3 would make the Hyde amendment, which currently has to be renewed every year, permanent. This is messed up.
But! In addition! The only loophole in the Hyde amendment has been cases of rape or incest. HR3 seeks to redefine this as "forcible rape" only.
What is forcible rape?
I'm glad you asked. Because they don't fuckin' know EITHER. "Forcible rape" is not a legal term. It is a term without definition. Basically, what this means is that if you are raped, become pregnant as a result of the rape, want to terminate the pregnancy, and cannot afford to pay out of pocket for an abortion -
You have to go in front of the judge and prove that your rape was "rape-rape", as Whoopi Goldberg would say.
Keep in mind that MOST rapists only use the MINIMUM amount of force necessary.
Perhaps you begin to see the problem.
So obviously this is a thing that catching my interest from the "government gets to decide how traumatic your rape has to be before they'll allow you medical care, and btw if you don't have broken bones they will probably rule against you" angle. But this is not all about rape survivors. To claim that it is tremendously disrespects all of the other people affected by the Hyde amendment.
So the Hyde amendment needs to go down in flames ANYWAY.
But the priority RIGHT NOW is to block HR3, which would make it permanent.
Here is your link roundup.
* Drugged, raped, and pregnant? Too bad. Republicans are pushing to limit rape and incest cases eligible for government abortion funding.
* There's a Twitter campaign.
* Why abortion funding matters.
* Script for calling the Democrats who support HR3.
* This bill allows federal funds to cover abortion if a physician certifies that the pregnancy will kill her, but allows no exceptions for the pregnant woman’s health. So if, for example, continuing a pregnancy will damage the woman’s kidneys so badly that she’ll need to be on dialysis for the rest of her life? Too bad, that’s not life-threatening.
Get educated, get incensed, get on the phone.