* IMPORTANT FOR BOSTONIANS: We are under a boil-water order
. The following communities are affected: Arlington, Belmont, Boston, Brookline, Canton, Chelsea, Everett, Lexington, Lynnfield Water District, Malden, Marblehead, Medford, Melrose, Milton, Nahant, Newton, Norwood, Quincy, Reading, Revere, Saugus, Somerville, Stoneham, Stoughton, Swampscott, Wakefield, Waltham, Watertown, Weston, Wilmington, Winchester, Winthrop.
* Sang in the May with Elayna, feste_sylvain
, Kritter, zeyr
, and... a bunch more awesome Boston poly/pagans. This is the only thing that gets me out before dawn! And I then proceeded to nap from 9am-4pm. Whoa.
* One of my favorite things about May Day on the banks of the Charles is the receiving line. There's an all-night formal at Harvard, and the students end up on the footbridge greeting the dawn with champagne; then they line up along our parade route from the Charles to the second of three sites, and we shake hands and smile and say "Merry May!", and it's clear that this delights them as much as it does us. It's an intersection of two worlds; feste_sylvain
refers to it as "the Apollonians and the Dionysians". Sometimes a few of them will join us for a song. I saw a few dancing the maypole at the second site. I like to think that, had Rory on Gilmore Girls
gone to Harvard instead of Yale, they'd've had a May Day episode with her in that receiving line. My Boston often strikes me as Stars Hollow writ large.
* I was going to give the eBay BPAL buyer the benefit of the doubt and mail the package with delivery confirmation and signature confirmation, since that does seem to be an actual (crappy) policy, but she revealed herself to be a full-tilt aggressively nasty person. So um no
. It's being offered to the second-highest bidder, and will be offered to the third-highest bidder (who's already expressed interest in taking me up on it) if the second-highest bidder declines. We're talking a spread of $5 in the three highest bids, so I'm not really losing any money here, and I get to not deal with assholes, so I win.
* Napped from 9am-4pm holy crap, SRSLY. But I really needed that, clearly. I'm still physically tired, but not mentally exhausted like I was last week.
* Saw Evil Dead: The Musical
at MIT last night. TOTALLY AWESOME. Fortunately, Elayna actually realizes how epically fantastic her adolescence is, that this is the stuff her parents take her to.
* Tomorrow I do house stuff, which has been sorely neglected, and I catch up on the teetering stacks of e-mail to-dos that have been threatening to bury me.
* And now I watch Doctor Who