Happy birthday to justbeast and Lawrence Ferlinghetti!
Hello to new readers antonyforody, hnmic, sterling_raptor, ladyaraia, ladydrakaina, passionandsoul, and zachariahskylab!
Okay, yeah, this is the post-trip day I knew was coming. Worn out and achy and sleeping too much. This shall pass.
The Beginner's Guide to Me
Since I've gotten a lot of adds lately, it seems like maybe time for an "Oh hai! This is what to expect!" Because there are certain things that shape me more than others, and come out here a lot...
* I'm a mom. Elayna's 14. We're still fantastically close. Yes, I had her early. And I was functionally a single mom for the first 6 years. I'm tough. :) Elayna writes and draws, sings, plays flute, and acts, has an awesome tribe of friends, and will take over the world someday.
* I'm a writer. You can find links to much of my stuff here, and my on-hiatus web-based urban-fantasy illuminated-manuscript thing here. You can buy a trade paperback of my originally-posted-on-LJ fiction and poetry here. (I have to poke the printer about that.
* I'm epileptic. From my artist's statement for Interfictions 2: "Epileptics live in a very interstitial state, slipping from world to world with little or no warning. Some seizures induce a sort of religious euphoria. Some are stark, terrifying disconnection. In some, one hears music no one else can hear, or one experiences the scent of lilacs as a physical object.
Temporal lobe epilepsy means, at its best, walking between worlds.
In 2003, I became interstitial, and I’ve been trying to make sense of it ever since - of the electrical cascades in my brain that can send me elsewhere, of the battery of medications that often make things worse, and of the pervasive sense of data loss and the odd things the brain does to patch those holes."
* I have fibromyalgia. This means chronic pain and fatigue, and a host of other comorbid conditions.
* I have a husband (Adam/yendi), a boyfriend (feste_sylvain), and a girlfriend (Spooky/elionwyr), and they all kick ass. Adam writes and runs a university intranet, Mark builds lifesaving robots and also writes, and Spooky is a haunter/zookeeper/writer. ...wait. Do I have a type? My type is whipsmart and funny and creative, I suppose. So yes, I'm one of those bipolypagan types; no, I won't date you, but mostly because I am insanely busy. I'm sure you're a wonderful person.
* I'm a rape crisis counselor volunteering with the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center; I speechify as part of the Survivor Speakers Bureau, and work with the community education and prevention branch. This work is important and I get really excited about being able to do the kind of things we do, and starting these conversations.
I think that's all the stuff that I really talk about incessantly. Dear readers, what else ought people to know?
Pic of the Day
sheistheweather couldn't make it to the Great Train Adventure, so she sent her stuffed fox, Brigid:
* "Storyworlds are a new form of computer entertainment developed by Storytron, Inc. Using our free authoring tool, SWAT, creative individuals with a story to tell can script their own sets of Actors, Stages, Props, and a web of potential interactions known as Verbs. Players seeking a unique new form of computer entertainment can play those storyworlds, engage with the Actors, and explore a wide range of choices and behavior in the dramatically rich environment developed by the author of that world. " Worth exploring?
* Regarding bad behavior at cons.
* Hey, writers! Interesting contest. I wish Places You Haunt was closer to completion...
* Self-Rescuing Princess shirt. I want these for my daughter's entire Girl Scout troop.
* Could you change your life in just 37 days?
Could nanotechnology save ancient books from crumbling?
I absolutely have to read and review an ABN today. Otherwise? Hopefully I'll get to unpack my backpack (got the suitcase done yesterday, at least!) and catch up around the house. Tonight is course selection night at Elayna's future high school! And dude, I'm totally excited about her potential electives. I'm not happy that she'll have to choose between band and chorus, but otherwise, she can take guitar, photography, film & video production, theatre, electronic music... I think it'll be a really great year.