Hello to new reader laliatk!
Snot goblins currently hovering around my epiglottis. *hack*
Just watch it.
Chances to Do Good
* Authors: please considering donating copies of your books to Jim Hines's $WINTERHOLIDAY book drive!
* Help Patrick Rothfuss support Heifer International!
* Goodnight, Mars Phoenix Lander, and well done.
* T-shirt for all my lawyer friends!
* Cherie Priest steampunk story now online!
* Help compile a list of animal sidekicks and good story videogames.
Two today, because they both apply to me...
* A new study by researchers from the Medical College of Georgia and the Shanghai Institute of Brain Functional Genomics shows that an enzyme called alpha calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II (αCaMKII) [this is a type of CaM Kinase] is essential for the formation and retrieval of memories. By briefly altering levels of αCaMKII activity at different stages of the memory process, they were able to prevent the transfer of new memories from short-term to long-term storage and to selectively erase specific memories as they were being recalled.
* If you're too tired to think straight, it might be because parts of your brain are already asleep at the wheel. A team of neuroscientists from Washington State University is challenging the belief that a specific region of the brain makes the call to hit the sack. Instead, our brains power down in stages, the researchers say. If a certain group of cells in our brain gets fatigued, it simply shuts off. Surrounding areas respond in kind and also begin to doze. Once a critical mass of gray matter reaches this point, our brain calls it a day.
...anyone who's chatted with me after I take my meds can testify to that one.
Museum of Science with Elayna, feste_sylvain, and Feste's younger daughter. Diesel tonight. Hopefully some vital errands between. *crosses fingers*