Happy birthday to australian_joe and thanos73!
Yesterday was agonizing. Seriously. I'm still not well, but hopefully swimming will help.
Quote of the Day
'Why do people love us? We are always trying to figure that out, but only by using our own point of view. That way is so limited. Sometimes they love us for things we don't even know about ourselves. For example they love our hands. My *hands*? Why would anyone love my hands? But they've got their reasons why. You must accept that and realize the person they know and love is different from the one you know.'
-- Jonathan Carroll
(This is why, feste_sylvain, why you look at me with that breathtaking look and tell me I'm beautiful, I sometimes ask... want to see what you see.)
...is making with the funny again. :)
...is not afraid to go medieval on a Playstation 3.
"HBO Films presents director Kenneth Branagh’s imaginative adaptation of Shakespeare’s classic AS YOU LIKE IT, celebrating the enduring power of love in all its many disguises. Witty, playful and utterly magical, the story is a compelling romantic adventure in which Rosalind and Orlando’s celebrated courtship is played out against a backdrop of political rivalry, banishment and exile in the Forest of Arden – set in 19th-century Japan."
We'll be TiVoing this Tuesday, August 21 (debut date) and watching it the following evening. Y'all are welcome to come watch with us. Viewing will start promptly at 7 PM and have snacks.
News in Muppets
Or "News in Jim Henson Properties", but that's not as catchy.
* Second Jareth action figure, this time with Hoggle! I will remind anyone who feels like buying me a gift that the *first* Jareth action figure is still languishing unpurchased on my Amazon wishlist.
* Dark Crystal action figures, too! "A vinyl figure of Jen aboard a full-figure Landstrider and a figure of uRac the Mystic scribe were both available at Comic-Con." I *really* have to get to Comic-Con one of these years.
* Last year fans rejoiced when Master Replicas Inc., an industry leader in movie and television prop replicas, released a top-quality Kermit the Frog "photo puppet". Fans celebrated again when the news surfaced that Master Replicas is planning to continue their line of Muppet replicas with an Animal "photo puppet"- set for release later this fall. Master Replicas is planning to continue their Muppet line even further and has announced the next two "photo puppets" in their collection – the Great Gonzo and Fozzie Bear.
* Who you gonna call?
* The Bacon Tomb: one year later
* Flash messages to the car behind you!
* Nesting dolls for wee techgeek girls: bit, byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte and terabyte.
Ice caves. Beautiful!
* An ancient forest of cypress trees, estimated to be eight million years old, has been discovered in Hungary.
* Over 80,000 comic book covers.
* Summation of new Batman trailer, with a great 'holy shit' moment. :)
* Surgically-implanted bra. *twitch* *twitch*
The robotic schnozz can sniff for bombs and air pollution, along with other simple chemicals, but it still can't tell a smushed banana from a sprig of peppermint.
Now researchers at the University of Warwick in England have hit upon a way to dramatically improve a robot's sense of smell: synthetic snot.
Just as in the human nose, man-made mucus catches molecules and ferries them to scent receptors, which identify individual scent molecules based partially on how long it takes for each molecule to dissolve in the mucus.
Hanging out with felisdemens at some point today or tonight. Otherwise, today is devoted to helping Elayna get a handle on her project - the boxes arrived yesterday, and she can't pursue her original vision, so we're reimagining. :)
And swimming. And trying to get my inbox below 800.