Guys, RAINN is a very good cause.
To give you an idea of statistics...
* In 2002, there were 247,730 victims of rape, attempted rape or sexual assault. [2002 NCVS]
* Of these approximately 248,000 victims, about 87,000 were victims of completed rape, 70,000 were victims of attempted rape, and 91,000 were victims of sexual assault. [2002 NCVS]
* Up to 4,315 pregnancies may have resulted from these attacks. [RAINN calculation based on 2002 NCVS and medical reports. This includes at least three women on my friends-list.
* One out of every six American women have been the victims of an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime (14.8% completed rape;2.8% attempted rape). A total of 17.7 million women have been victims of these crimes.
* About three percent of American men —- a total of 2.78 million men—have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime. [Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women 1998.]
* In 2001, only 39% of rapes and sexual assaults were reported to law enforcement officials — about one in every three.
This could be your mother. Your sister. Your best friend.
This could be you.
RAINN provides a 24/7 hotline to help rape survivors get the help they need - whether it's getting to a local counseling center or just having someone to talk to when you're alone and terrified at two in the morning.
I will be blogging for 24 hours straight on Saturday/Sunday, 9 AM to 9 AM, in an effort to raise money for RAINN.
I want to at least equal last year's fundraising. I know I can do it. Just give a little money to a good cause... every bit counts. Last year I had donations ranging from $5 to $100 per person. Everything helps. Everything counts. And if you don't have a credit or debit card, you can mail me a check made out to RAINN, and I'll get it to them. In the comments field of their form, put "Shadesong-Blogathon", and send me your e-mail receipt so I'll know and get you your incentive prize.
DONATE TO RAINN NOW. Please.
If you yourself need to talk to a professional, their number is 1-800-656-HOPE.
Also, please consider supporting my fellow BlogAThonners. theferrett is raising money for the National Hemophilia Association, zoethe is raising money for breast cancer research, and satia is raising money for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. These are causes that are close to our hearts... mine for obvious reasons, theferrett due to the recent loss of his beloved uncle, zoethe due to the loss of her friend, and satia because her mother's a breast cancer survivor. Other BlogAThonners - give me your info and I'll pimp you as well...
This means everything to me, guys. If each of you donated just $5.. that'd be a hell of a lot of money to help a hell of a lot of people.
PLEASE DONATE TO RAINN NOW.