Elayna's home for spring break, and Adam took the week off. (Originally we were going to be going to Florida to meet my new nephew, but I do not have the new nephew I thought I'd have because the birth mother was a scam artist; there was a post up about that for like 10 minutes and then I thought maybe some of the stuff in it was too painful/revealing for my sister. But yes, that's another awfulness that happened. My sister is still hoping to adopt. I'll keep working on the baby blanket.)
So this week became a Do All The Things week. And I've been in pain since Saturday's (amazing wonderful worth it) party. So. FUN.
What we've been up to:
* Elayna is looking to transfer schools. She's been having issues there for a while, almost entirely due to the size of the school; 600 students gets really cliquey, and the atmosphere is often a negative one, socially. Also smaller school = fewer food options. And small school in the middle of nowhere= no recreation or escape options. Academically, she's doing great, with the highest GPA she's ever had, which means the school whose transfer day she attended Saturday morning will probably happily take her (she was accepted there for 2013-14). It's the school she *almost* attended - her current school won by a nose. We think she'll be really happy there, and it's much closer to us and to her best friend, and has real transportation and food options. More info when she gets her acceptance! But yes, that's another Big Thing in our world that I haven't been talking about because it's primarily Someone Else's Stuff.
* We have been doing a lot of the stuff around the house that's needed doing. Adam's so tired when he gets home from work, and he likes his weekends to be as work-free as possible, so there's a list!
* Elayna went to the eye doctor; her prescription hasn't changed, but she needs prescription sunglasses for her light sensitivity. (I went to the eye doctor recently as well. We're pretty sure my eye weirdness is just how I'm built and not impending glaucoma. I have OCT pics of my eyeballs now as a baseline!)
* Elayna went to Dr. Jackpot (pain issues). He is thrilled to have a mother-daughter pair of genetic weirdos. :) She likes him, yay. He laid out an excellent plan of attack for her intersecting physical stuff.
* That made me late to my first PT at the new place, which got rescheduled to 7:30am the next day, which then got rescheduled to 3:30pm, because that, too, is how this week has gone.
* Oh yeah I never talked about PT here. The first PT is one I picked because it's walking distance from my house, but... I did not like it there. The therapist was a little old lady who didn't seem to listen much and seemed reluctant to examine me thoroughly, and gave me some bog-standard isometric exercises and no insight. Dr. Jackpot has spoiled me, it seems, because I thought that visit over and decided no, if I'm paying $50 a week for something, I want it done right. So yesterday I went to a PT that heavenscalyx
recommended, and I am much
happier. This guy took tons of measurements, examined me very
thoroughly, was not afraid to handle me, and listened closely. Also observed a lot. Much more confidence in this one. So apparently I have a lot of hip laxity, enough so that my normal sitting positions are knocking my SI joint out of whack. My pelvis rotation was a little ridic. It is a weird sensation to have one's pelvis maneuvered back into position. I have exercises, and I must be mindful of how I stand and put a stack of books under my desk for my feet, because being short means my feet don't touch the ground, which means I tuck a leg or two under myself for comfort, which means my pelvis is shifting, therefore pain. There's a lot of work to be done on that before we get to soft tissue work. I am determined, though.
* Elayna had to observe a class for her education class, which she did yesterday at the high school - before she realized that she had to do it at an elementary
school. Fortunately, her favorite teacher was able to get her in touch with some elementary school teachers, so she's doing that observation today.
* Nicky and Bash went to the vet today! Nicky needed his kennel cough vaccination so he can go to doggie daycare when necessary; Bash just needed his annual checkup and shots (we got him on my birthday last year). The vets love both of them so much. <3 Oh, and Nicky starts obedience training next week!
* I went to SEE for my new glasses and the person remembered me from last March
. Very good at her job. New frames will have GLITTER.
* Adam's getting a haircut.
* Tomorrow we're taking Elayna clothes shopping, as that's what she wants for her birthday; tomorrow night we're going to MIT's Twelfth Night
. Elayna still has to decide what she wants to do for her actual birthday, which is Saturday. Sunday we're taking her back to school. :( And I have a grueling day ahead of me on Monday.
* I might
get like an hour of writing time today; Elayna's class observation overlaps with Adam's haircut. I live in hope! As noted elsenet, I realized that the teenage flashbacks in the novel are pretty much Pretty Hate Machine: The Novella
. Eerily perfect. (Yes, losing a week of writing time has been making me twitchy, especially because I lost big chunks of last week.)
I feel like there's more.
Anyway. Off to do the next thing!