I have a few minutes between housecleaning time and writing time, so it is memetime!
, five questions and five words to free-associate:
1. If you had to pick one thing about yourself to be rid of, what would it be?
This is a hard one! Because there's the epilepsy and the celiac. The celiac is more of a day-to-day pain in the ass, but the epilepsy is the one that's likelier to randomly do me in. I feel like just saying "my bodily malfunctions" would be cheating on the order of "I wish for more wishes." If I have to choose? Epilepsy.
2. What do you want to do now?
Like right now
? Nap. I was up too early again. In general? I wish I could hit pause on the day job and get the rest of my stuff in order; I have not only the writing, but a whole ton of other side projects. And I do love the day job, so I'm not wishing for a sabbatical, I'm wishing to be able to pick up right where I left off after getting my other stuff sorted out.
3. Biggest surprise in your life?
Elayna, no question.
4. What do you think the you of 20 years ago would think of you?
I think she would be utterly bewildered that we lived past 18, because that was certainly not a foregone conclusion at the time. I don't know that she'd know what to make of me. I've passed through a few singularities since then.
5. Favorite place to find joy?
. Out with friends, walking around Boston alone, dancing in my bedroom, on the couch with Adam and Elayna, time with sindrian
, local theater, parades, revels, cuddling down in my bed at night with Max.
Topics: Activism, passion, crafting, words, lasers
Activism: See, this is another singularity - I can't really imagine a time before activism was a part of my daily life! Whether it was organized activism or not. My personal is political, my political is personal, it's all one thing.
Passion: Is what keeps me going when any reasonable person would go home and rest.
Crafting: Currently knitting is my big thing, but I want to get back to mixed-media found-object art; I used to do soldered sculptures and painting. *eyes her soldering iron upstairs*
Words: "The real secret of magic is that the world is made of words, and that if you know the words that the world is made of you can make of it whatever you wish." - Terence McKenna
Lasers: Are awesome
, favorite songs that begin with "r":
* "Rainbows and Unicorns"
, Kim Boekbinder - A recent favorite, and the whole album is brilliant and you can listen to it online and you need to go do that.
* "The Road"
, Frank Turner - because I am still at heart a tumbleweed.
* "The Reason Why"
, Rachael Yamagata - this is one of Jessa and Fenris's songs in my head.
* "Rebels of the Sacred Heart"
, Flogging Molly - another Fenris song. This one's for all the Kirayth, really.
* "Roosterspur Bridge", Tori Amos - this is a Cicatrix song.
* "Ravens in the Library"
- because of course.
* "Refugee", Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - their greatest hits album came out during my time in Vegas, and we played it every single day. Hal and I used to sing this one rather a lot.
* "Ruby Soho", Rancid - I baked cookies for them once.
* "Rudie Can't Fail", The Clash - A lover-at-the-time dedicated this to me when his band opened for Ween. :)
* "Runaway", Del Shannon - I grew up on doo-wop. This is one of the first songs I put on my singing-into-my-hairbrush rotation.
* "Rant and Roar", Great Big Sea - the end of the first album of theirs I heard, the album that made me a lifelong fan.
* "Rockaway Beach", The Ramones - okay, everything by The Ramones.
* "Re Your Brains", Jonathan Coulton - We're not unreasonable. I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes.
* "Red and Black", the cast of Les Miserables
- I don't care what Adam says, I still love Les Mis.
* "Rain King", Counting Crows - except for the "YYYYYYEAAAAH" at the end. What? It makes me bounce.
* "Red Rubber Ball", Simon & Garfunkel - see also "makes me bounce".
* "Room at the Top", Adam Ant - *bounce* *bounce*
* "Redneck Karaoke Bar", Rebecca Loebe - just awesome fun. (I keep insisting that I don't like country, and then I start singing along with "Redneck Karaoke Bar" and feste_sylvain
gives me the side eye.)
* "Raise Your Glass"
, Pink - Kickass anthem.
* "Ride the Wind", Poison - I am unashamed.