Why we started watching it
* It's written by the writer of My So-Called Life
and her daughter. The Gojirawitzes are suckers for mother-daughter projects. Plus My So-Called Life
* Nikki Blonsky, who blew us away in Hairspray
.What it's about
Ostensibly, a group of kids at fat camp. Really about being an awkward teenager. Which the Gojirawitzes were. I know, you are shocked.Things we love
* Blonsky's sardonic, sarcastic, secretly poetic Will. She is fucking awesome.
* Raven Goodwin
as shy SF geek Becca. She reads our books. She organizes a LARP. Love.
* Basically everyone on this show.
* That there are no villains - the pretty you-don't-really-need-fat-camp girl turns out to be actually really nice.
* Favorite line from this week, delivered by the crusty old chef (the dad from Sixteen Candles
) as he pages through a discarded teen magazine: "That Lady Gaga sure works hard at whatever it is she does. I just hope she has people looking after her."
* Hilarious takes on the utter inanity of Twilight
* Just a really nuanced portrayal of a bunch of people.Things that are shockingly no big deal
* A boy is knitting during free time, while the other boys are playing guitar or talking about chicks. He's just chilling and knitting. No big.
* A character identifies as asexual. No big, she just is.
Yes, SWWtYAINW may become an ongoing series. We watch a lot of shows you may not be watching.
EDIT: There are recaps
! [h/t living400lbs